People > Hao Chu
Address: Room 518, Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan University, #1 Roosevelt Road, Section 4, Taipei, Taiwan 106, ROC
Email Address: hchu (at) csie.ntu.edu.tw
Phone number: (8862) 3366-4888, ext 518
Fax: (8862) 2362-8167
Weekly Office hours (Spring 2012): Thu 14:00~15:30 in R518, please send email to schedule other meeting time.
Hao received his B.S. in computer science from Cornell University and his Ph.D. in computer science from University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign under the supervision of Prof. Klara Nahrstedt. He worked at the Design Research Institute, Xerox Corporation, Intel Corporation, and as a project manager at (NTT) DoCoMo USA Labs in California. Since August 2003, he has been in Taiwan to teach at the Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan University. He was visiting the EECS Department and Berkeley Institute of Design (BiD) at U.C. Berkeley in 2011. He regularly attends (Bread of Life Christian Church in Shih Lin).
I have two loving brothers Yung-Hua Chu and Yang-Hua Chu (who graduated from CMU CS PhD).
- Ubiquitous and pervasive computing
- Sensor networks
- Human computer interaction
Selected Publications: (see this link)
- ACM UbiComp:
2006(PC of ubiPCMM06 Workshop)
- ACM MobiSys: 2013(General co-chair), 2003(PC)
- ACM SenSys: 2012(PC)
- IEEE PerCom: 2009(PC and workshop co-chair), 2008(PC),
- Pervasive Healthcare: 2013(PC), 2011(PC)
- INSS: 2009 (demo co-chair)
- WWW: 2003(PC), 2002(PC)
- RTCSA: 2007(PC), 2008(PC)
- ACM MMM: 2007(PC)
- ACM Multimedia: 2005(PC of Workshop on Multimedia Service Composition), 2004 (PC of Workshop on Next-Generation Residential Broadband Challenges), 2000(PC)
- IEEE ICC: 2006(PC)
- IAT: 2008(PC)
- ACM SAC: 2006(PC: OSAA Track)
- Nightmarket workshop: 2007(Forum host), 2006(co-chair)
- Guest Editor, International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications (IJPCC) special issue on Pervasive Computing.
- Publicity Co-Chair & PC Member: International Conference on Grid and Pervasive Computing, Tunghai University, Taiwan, May 3~6, 2006.?
- Co-chair, IEEE EEE05 Workshop on Mobility, Agents, and Mobile Services (MAM), Hongkong, March 2005.
- Workshop Co-Chair: 1st IEEE QoS and Dynamic Systems (QDS) Workshop (in conjunction with IEEE ICPADS 2004), Newport Beach, CA.
- PC Member: Workshop on Multimedia Information Systems 2001, Capri, Italy.
- Connected Context Computing, National Taiwan University, January 27, 2011.
- MSRA Faculty Summit, Shanghai, October 2010.
- Invited talk at National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, November 3, 2008.
- Invited talk at National Chao-Tung University, Department of Computer Science (host: Prof. Tyne Liang), "From Pervasive to Persuasive Computing", October 30, 2008.
- Invited talk at Waseda University, Department of Information and Computer Science (host: Prof. Tatsuo Nakajima), "Experience sharing on how to run user studies in a persuasive computing project", October 9, 2008.
- Invited talk at the University of Hong Kong, Department of Computer Science (host: Prof. Cho-li Wang), September 5, 2008.
- Invited talk at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (host: Prof. Qiang Yang), September 4, 2008.
- Paper presentation, "Playful toothbrush: UbiComp technology for teaching tooth brushing to kindergarten children," ACM CHI 2008, April 7, 2008, Florence, Italy.
- Invited talk at National Taiwan Normal University, Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering (host: Prof. Chun-Fa Chang), March 19, 2008.
- Invited talk at Design Speeches Seminar, "From pervasive to persuasive computing," Department of Industrial and Commercial Design, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (host: Prof. Hsien-Hui Tang), March 14, 2008.
- Keynote talk at at the 26th Conference of Taiwan Occupational Therapy, November 18, 2007.
- Invited talk at Brown Bag Seminar, Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University (host Prof. Taysheng Jeng), November 7, 2007.
- Paper presentation, Modeling and optimizing positional accuracy based on hyperbolic geometry for the adaptive radio interferometric positioning system. LOCA 2007, September 20, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria.
- Paper presentation, Playful tray: adopting Ubicomp and persuasive techniques into play-based occupational therapy for reducing poor eating behavior in young children. UBICOMP 2007, September 17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria.
- Invited lecture at the Child Welfare League Foundation, June 22, 2007, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Invited lecture at National Taiwan University Seminar (host: Prof. Feng Yen), April 12, 2007.
- Invited lecture at NCTU CSIE department (host: Prof. Shie-yuan Wang), January 2, 2007.
- Opening talk at Nightmarket 2006 workshop, Ubiquitous computing in nightmarket experience. June 16, 2006.
- Invited lecture at Tsinghua University, China (host: Prof. Yuanchun Shi), Disappearing Computing: from anytime, anywhere, any-device computing to nothing, never, and nowhere computing. March 24, 2006.
- Invited talk at ITRI, Smart objects. March 14, 2006.
- Invited lecture at 2005 Embedded Systems Development for Assisted Living Systems and Services Forum, Augmenting everyday objects with location awareness for homecare: slippers, glove, and table. March, 22, 2005, National Taiwan University. (pdf)
- Invited lecture at NTU EE CS seminar, Personal experience computing. November 29, 2004.
- Invited lecture at NCKU CSIE department,Personal experience computing.November 19, 2004.
- Invited lecture at NCTU Multimedia and Networking seminar,Personal experience computing.September 23, 2004.
- Invited lecture at Academic Sinica IIS Seminar,Personal experience computing.September 23, 2004. .
- Invited lecture at NTU Psychology Department. Making use of serendipity: a new direction for pervasive computing from a sociological view. October 20, 2004. (pdf)